Friday, July 23, 2010

A Little Bit Hypocritical...

An event at work today made me very sad.  Amidst all of the lunatics and generally confused people who choose to dine at Sonic Drive-In, there is normally at least one person who chooses to ruin my day.

A man/boy, probably around my brother's age (18) or a year older, wandered on to the Sonic patio with a Bible in hand.  Right off the bat I got a queasy feeling and knew something was a little off.  The last time I saw someone carrying a Bible at Sonic it was a homeless man who also rode a bike and carried a boombox playing 80s rap music.  This was a long time ago, but still.

So the guy asks my co-worker if someone will go outside and clean off the table he wants to sit at.  Of course this is the only dirty table on the patio that some kids had just sat at and spilled strawberry compote all over the freaking table.  So I go outside as ordered and clean the table and chairs all the while this joker wants to sit there kind of mumbling, but I thought he was talking to me, so I said, "what?"  Maybe he would have preferred if I'd said, "pardon me, kind sir?"  What can I say, poor choice of words perhaps.  He didn't even respond to me saying 'what', or look at me, so I just figured he was reading his Bible to himself.

I brought out his food (a #3, I have a very good memory), and he paid me in exact change, no tip, and didn't say anything to me (no thank you), except as I was nearly inside stepping a foot in the door he said "You take it easy now".  Whatever.  You need to take it easy on the Bible, obviously.

About 5 minutes after he vacated the premises, I hear my manager Johnny talking to someone on the phone, saying things like, "I'm very sorry, sir" and "yes, I understand" and, "If you want to talk to the owner Carolyn, just call back tomorrow morning and tell her I said to call her".  Curious, I asked him who was calling.  He smiled and told me it was the guy with the Bible saying I was very kind when I brought out his food but when I was cleaning his table off I was very rude to him, didn't respect him as a person, and said "WHAT" really rudely.  Umm... excuse me.  Maybe I should've said, "WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?! AND WHY ARE YOU MUMBLING TO YOURSELF?" He didn't respond to me and say something that would be a normal response to a question like, "Oh nothing, don't mind me".  That would be the normal human response, and people at Sonic don't understand nor have those.

W.W.J.D.?  Jesus would tell me to forgive this sad, poor soul.  But I really can't get over how this boy/man was carrying and READING a Bible, and chose to call and complain about me, saying I didn't respect him!  That couldn't be farther from the truth!  Jesus would have said 'thank you' to me.  This man/boy needs to be very thankful that he didn't come during the daytime or get one of the other employees delivering his food.  Let's just say Sonic isn't really famous for closing on Sundays.

I'm not really sure why I let these things that happen to me at work get to me and take them so personally.  When someone defames my character or accuses me of doing things, I get very angry.  I can't help it. I wear my heart on my sleeve sometimes.  I feel like constantly there is someone, whether it be a customer or a co-worker, that is trying to bring me down.

I wonder if this person knows that he is a little bit   hypocrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment